Over the last week, I was away on a vacation to Coorg (which has become an annual affair for our family over the last 5 years). With the monsoon having set in already, this vacation was all about lazing, eating & time spent with the family. But come sun or rain, everytime we come to Coorg - we come back with a wish to return ASAP!
Check one of my earlier photo features on Coorg.
Some information about The Scotland of India:
- Mercara is about 280kms from Bangalore - best accesses by road
- Many theories exist about the roots of the Coorgis or Kodavas (the locals) - but none confirmed or established. They are ancestor worshipers who have adopted a lot of Hindu rituals over the centuries.
- The Kodavas are known for their contribution in the following - Indian Armed Forces, hockey in India & coffee growing.
- The Kodavas supported the Britishers in keeping Hyder Ali / Tipu Sultan at bay. As a result of which they received quite a few favors - quite a few of which they enjoy even now.
- Homestays are a favorite way to stay. Orange County & Club Mahindra - Kodagu are a couple of first class resorts in the area.
Some sites about Coorg: