Forma Adventure Low Boots – I’ve had these for about 5 years now & has been my primary riding boots across Tigris, Altoid & Kiara. And they continue to be my primary riding boots even now.
Here are 5 inputs for anyone planning on buying them:
1. Made of tough leather, they take some getting used to. For me, it felt odd for the first 4-5 rides. I had to change the position of my gear lever to accommodate the boots under it. But once the leather settled in, it felt like a natural second layer. Now, it feels strange riding without them. Boots are flexible, but not enough to do a Tiger’s Nest trek in Bhutan.
2. They have a Drytex waterproof layer which has worked well. It has gone through water, snow, sand – and has kept my feet safe & dry. They’ve been submerged fully multiple times too – obviously can’t keep water out beyond its height. The waterproofing continues to work even now – tested extensively in the recent monsoons. There is at least one instance when the boots took the full weight of Tigris (230 odd kgs) when I dropped it during an off roading adventure. Though I was pinned down, no discomfiture or injury.
3. The construction of the boots are comfortable & it’s never bothered me even on long riding days (>12 hrs). I opted for the low version since I wanted to use this along with knee braces. This setup has worked well for the last 3 years I’ve had the braces.
4. I have done zero upkeep of the boots except to wash off the grime & dirt once in a while. I’ve not soft handed them at all & thrown them at the deep end when required (e.g., some flat tracking too, where they took quite a beating). With a little bit effort, these will go an even longer way.
5. Watch out for the manufacturing date before you buy the product. Many a time, they are stocked by retailers too long before it is sold. And these products start deteriorating even if the product is not in active use. A few quarters might not matter; but be wary of buying if it is much older.
I have been so impressed with them, that I bought a Forma for urban use as well. They haven’t been used anywhere as much as these, but they have also lived up to expectations.